The new Terminal Garage 1 at Nashville® International Airport (BNA) has achieved Parksmart Silver certification for its sustainable design, construction and operation. This is BNA’s second garage to achieve Parksmart certification, and BNA is home to two of the 42 certified parking structures worldwide.
BNA’s Terminal Garage 1 is a $174 million state-of-the-art facility opening in 2021 with six levels of public parking, 2,800 parking spaces, a variety of traveler amenities and a new and improved valet center with dedicated entrance. The structure was designed by Moody Nolan and built by Messer Construction using Parksmart protocols, the world’s only rating system designed to advance sustainable mobility through smarter design and operation of parking structures. In October 2019, BNA’s Terminal Garage 2 obtained Bronze certification.
“We have a long-standing commitment to sustainability here at Nashville International Airport. As we continue to expand our airport with BNA Vision, we are also focusing on ‘green’ design, construction and operation,” said BNA’s Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. “We are proud that another garage has achieved Parksmart certification. This is a huge achievement, and it speaks to the intentional effort of our entire team to prioritize sustainability.
Terminal 1 Garage Facts:
- 224 million pounds of concrete used
- 1,500+ workers
- 807,000+ working hours
- 93% of the workforce was local
- $41 million in contracts for minority and women-owned small businesses (SMWBE)
Parksmart is the world’s only rating system designed to advance sustainable mobility through smarter design and operation of parking structures. Administered by Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI), the Parksmart Framework provides a roadmap for employing innovative, solution-focused strategies. With guidance from the Parksmart Protocols, BNA has implemented an integrated design process that helps maximize the value of the structure throughout its life by reducing operating costs, reducing environmental impact and increasing energy efficiency.
Sustainability was a guiding principle in the development of Terminal Garage. Examples of “green” practices and components considered in the Parksmart certification of the installation:
- Energy-efficient LED lighting, which is programmed to dim when no movement is detected, cutting energy consumption in half
- A parking space guidance system to help travelers quickly find parking spaces, reducing unnecessary driving time, fossil fuel use and greenhouse gas emissions
- Walk-in pay stations, reducing vehicle downtime and greenhouse gas emissions
- Charging stations for electric vehicles, promoting the use of an alternative energy source
- Tire inflation station, helping travelers keep their tires properly inflated, enabling better gas mileage and reducing fossil fuel consumption
- Recycling receptacles at all levels to encourage travelers to keep recyclable materials out of landfills
- Environmentally friendly practices, such as using ionized water instead of chemical cleaners to clean the garage
- Designed for durability, which increases the life of the garage through quality construction parameters, providing long-lasting structural and finishing elements
- Emphasize regional labor and locally sourced materials, support the local economy, and reduce travel time, fossil fuel use, and greenhouse gas emissions
BNA Terminal Garages are major components of BNA® Vision, Nashville International Airport’s aggressive growth and expansion plan. In addition to terminal garages #1 and #2, BNA® Vision will include additional parking, a renovated central terminal, an expanded security checkpoint, a state-of-the-art international arrivals facility, an upscale hotel and continued. Take a 360 degree virtual tour, view renderings and watch the BNA® Vision video on BNAVision.com.